I have two MBWEs. One is older running 01.01.12 with two 500MBs set for RAID. The other is newer running 01.01.18 with two 1TBs set for RAID.
The 01.01.12 chassis just had a drive fail and it's not heavily loaded, so I could easily migrate the data off the device and return it later. Plus, new WD Caviar Green 500MB drives are currently ~$100 while the 1 TB drives are ~$120 (on WD's site anyway).
While replacing a single drive, I'd rather expand my 01.01.12 unit to be like my 01.01.18. I think this will work but would appreciate opinions:
- purchase two 1 TB drives similar to what's in my 01.01.18 chassis
- insert one new HDD into the 01.01.18 chassis and have it sync all the data from it's peer drive
- remove both drives from the 01.01.12 chassis
- add the brand new and now mirrored drive to the 01.01.12 chassis (peered in the 01.01.18 chassis)
- add the other new blank drive, too
- temporarily turn off the 01.01.18 chassis
- boot the 01.01.12 chassis
If I'm right, the 01.01.12 chassis will boot thinking it's the 01.01.18 unit with all the same settings (probably even the 01.01.18 firmware, too), including ssh access, hostname, hacks, and IP address (which is why I plan to turn off the 01.01.18 chassis until I can change the IP on the 01.01.12 chassis).
Any thoughts about if this will or won't work?