Id been gettin ro erros on md3 md4 and root so im looking into doing the *rescue procedure*, see my orignal post //mybookworld.wikidot.com/forum/t-161014/transmission-causing-read-only-file-error. At the minute i have the MBWE out and ready to insert into the computer, im downloading knoppix and reading through the rescue procedure and since i have very little linux know-how, i have a few questions before i start:
1) My computer only has 1 cd drive, since i will be running knoppix from that drive and i will be disconnecting my other hard drives from the computer during the procedure, how can i copy the rescue files etc to the MBWE disk? Can i download via knoppix? can i get it off a usb pen?
2) There is no mention of formatting the HDD, or is that what copying the rescue.img to disk does? Since i have bad sectors on HDD should i completely reformat first, and if so, at what point?
3) i have known bad sectors on the HDD. There is no mention of running fsck - when would be the best point to fsck? Is this the best command to run to section off the bad sectors and make the HDD usable again?
4) After creating the 3 partitions, the rescue procedure says " At the end of the disk there is much free space, create there a PRIMARY partition, set it to be TYPE=fd". After some searching on the internet i found this: //studentwebsite.blogspot.com/2009/06/disk-management-create-partition-using.html. even after reading this i dont quite understand how to do this. some simpler step-by-step instructions would be greatly apprieciated.
5) /dev/md4 MUST BE REPLACED BY /dev/sda4! —-» how do you replace md4 with sda4? again step-by-step instructions if possible.
on a side note, if this rescue procedure does not work, i have been looking into building a dedicated linux running box using an atom230 processor to share files over network and download torrents etc. If i install some sort of linux OS on it, will the samba and torrent install/setup be similar to how it is for MBWE? And would it be difficult to setup a linux system to support file sharing with windows computers?