Hi everybody. I just got the WD MBWE White Light with 1TB disk and kernel version 126.96.36.199. I really need it to mount CIFS… smbclient -L host works. I tried all kinds of mount commands and none seem to work. So I thought maybe the cifs.ko is missing. I tried the better part of the day trying either to find a suitable cifs.ko or compile myself but for no avail. The cifs I compile when I execure "insmod" I get:
insmod: cannot insert `cifs.ko': Unknown symbol in module (-1): No such file or directory"
and dmesg gives
cifs: Unknown symbol unregister_key_type cifs: Unknown symbol register_key_type cifs: Unknown symbol refrigerator cifs: Unknown symbol key_put cifs: Unknown symbol user_describe cifs: Unknown symbol user_match cifs: Unknown symbol kmalloc_caches cifs: Unknown symbol request_key
help… this is getting frustrating. Can anyone give me the proper cifs.ko or tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Here's how I tried to compile cifs.ko (on my Ubuntu):
1. Downlaoded from WD's site http://support.wdc.com/download/mybook/WD-MyBookWorld-v1.00.16-GPL.tar.gz
2. Extracted the toolchain and the kernel directories
3. export PATH="$PATH":path..to…toolchain/gcc-csl-arm-2005q1-glibc-csl-arm/bin/
4. export CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabi-
5. cd to the kernel-0.4.6 directory
6. make menuconfig, select File-system -> Network File system -> CIFS to be "M" (Module)
6a. I also tried to put all its suboptions (experimental features etc.) off.
7. make M=fs/cifs
8. in MBWE - insmod cifs.ko
Your help shall not go unnoticed.