Recently I brought an blue ring 500gb MBWE with an 2.00.16 firmware off from ebay hoping that I would make is a file/print server for the home office, but things didn't go as I would like to be… I did hours of searching within this website and others because this installation is not exactly a straight thru installation.
I thought it would be nice to get the latest and greatest so I updated to 2.0018 firmware. According to the first steps, you have to be able to get into ssh prompt. So I went to the link to update the firmware, but the firmware was NOT successful. However, I checked the logs and according to it, ssh is activated and I was able to get a login prompt when I used putty.
After I was able to get a log-in prompt, I have trouble logging in. I used login: admin, ADMIN, root, ROOT, and etc… but the passwords doesn't work. Then i went to somewhere in another site, it tells me to create a user in user manager in the MBWE and logged to it. And load and behold, it works, but my username has to be capitals though.
I thought the optware installation was pretty straight forward. The next thing I wanted to do is to install CUPS and hook up my usb printer. The installation was pretty smooth until when I was asked to download the updated version of CUPS and compile. Because the firmware was later than 2.00.15, gcc compiler was removed. I saw this thread about restoring the complier to my MBWE here.
It was going well until I copied the files back to the /usr directory when the MBWE just lost connection for no reason. When the unit booted back up, I was able to ping the device and access to the public share. However, I wasn't able to go to the web administration and ssh no longer works.
Seeing that this MBWE is semi bricked, I try to manually to restore the /usr directory by taking out the drive and manually copy the files over using knoppix. When I tried to copy over the /usr directory in the /sda1 pratition, it says read only and the directory seems to be corrupt. In any care, I tried to repair the /sda1 partition, it says it is read only. I tried to repair it but without success. I was planning to upgrade my 500gb hard drive, so now I am buying a 1.5 tb hard drive and try to restore the partition there and bring the mbwe to that hard drive.
I just wanted to share my story and willing to listen to suggestions.