Hi folks, first time post and it's because I'm stumped.
I want to be able to connect to my MBWE1 from an external site using sshd. Here's what I have setup:
- I have sshd running from a startup script in /etc/init.d (i.e. not using inetd)
- I can connect using PuTTY from a PC on my internal network. (i.e. I can connect to 192.168.11.8:22)
- I have set up port forwarding in the NAT section of my router config. (Buffalo Airstation)
- Using www.canyouseeme.org to send packets to port 22, reports that my address is listening on port 22. i.e. Port 22 seems to be visible to the outside world. my ISP is not blocking port 22.
- After using www.canyouseeme.org, my router log file reports TCP connection accepted from 188.8.131.52:54159 to 192.168.11.8:22. (184.108.40.206 is canyouseeme.org) so it seems to be reaching the MBWE.
- Trying to connect PuTTY to ww.xx.yy.zz:22 where ww.xx.yy.zz is the IP address allocated by my ISP results in "Network Error: Connection Refused". There's nothing in /var/log/message to indicate the problem.
I'm down to trying to work out if the MBWE has some form of firewall running to limit which IP addresses are running but it doesn't seem to have iptables running or installed, or whether it's something in sshd_config, which hasn't changed since installation and is all default setup.
Any help will be greatly appreciated as my work are sending my on-site next week and I'd like to be able to connect from there.
p.s. Boy, do I wish I'd left mionet installed now!?
p.p.s. No, not really. ;o)