thanks for this great forum,
I hope you can help me here, or I can find some useful hints, what to do best.
I own a WD My Book World II (white light) 2x2TB with Raid 1 mirroring. Only using Public folder as data store.
What has happened:
1. I logged in my mybookworld via ssh wanted to configure a optware printing service to autorun by an initd.d script.
2. For testing reasons (to see whether my init.d-script was found) I added some comments and echo commands in the init.d/rcS file.
3. I rebooted serveral times and also runned the rcS-script directly itself.
4. Afterwards i noticed that all my user data was lost, only the original file structure and some data (which I copied directly from an external drive by the mbw-copying interface) remained.
I can't imagine what has happened! I never deleted files or formated the disk!
I checked already if occationally my data partition wasn't mounted. But unfortunately it was.
After noticing this data loss, no writing access happened on the disk. I shuted down the MyBook World about two hours later and now I want to check how to restore the data by connecting the drive directly to my computer.
Do you know
- what has happened? Was the data really deleted by mybook?
- the reason for my data loss?
- a good restoring solution (application for windows vista, if recommended also linux)
Of course, I lost important data and have no real backup (i know there is no excuse), so any help to get my data back would be great.
Thanks in advance,