- I enabled ssh on my WD MyBook. I logged in.
- I downloaded and installed vsftpd; successfully.
- I added the appropriate line in the inetd.conf in order to have vsftpd started automatically during startup:
ftp stream tcp nowait root /usr/bin/vsftpd vsftpd
- I configured the /etc/vsftpd.conf file by the book (as presented in this forum).
- I configured the /etc/passwd ftp user by the book (as presented in this forum).
- I rebooted; several times.
- From Windows command prompt, I try to connect to the vsftpd by typing:
No luck. I always get this error:
500 OOPS: could not bind listening IPv4 socket.
Do not reply with "move the vsftpd.conf file inside the /etc/vsftpd/ folder. This will not apply. Even though I change the inetd.conf parameter, it is IGNORED!!!
Is this so damn hard to setup one stupid ftp service? Come on.
Why the hell is the vsftpd not working? … or even better, is it working at all ???