I received my new MB Live 3T on Friday and encountered a problem from the start: UI was HORRENDOUSLY slow. I've spend a lot of time trying to figure out what's wrong with it, and finally was able to find a source a problem.
Brand new mybook has just MyBookLive in /etc/hostname. If it cannot resolve this name using DNS server that it gets from DHCP (a wireless router, for example), many scripts spit a lot of errors into logs. One of services eventually just fills the whole partition (/var/log is not on dedicated partition in Live). UI takes a lot of time to run some scripts, because they run shell scripts via sudo from PHP (I'm not joking). Sudo is trying to resolve a name, and if it cannot be resolved… well, everything adds up and UI become almost irresponsible. Which means: you cannot change a name to something resolvable.
There are two ways:
1. Make "MyBookLive" resolvable. This will require a working DNS server in your network and ability to setup DHCP, which I suppose is not something everyone can do.
2. Attempt to enable SSH via UI. This is a little tricky and requires some patience but it worked for me:
- reboot MyBook using a paperclip
- try to open http://**serverip**/UI/ssh — it takes time but it should be finally loaded, have patience
- click on checkbox to enable SSH — it takes some time too
- login to MyBookLive using PuTTY or ssh (root/welc0me)
- df, ls -l /var/log and find if something is filling a disk writing to some log file, kill a process, remove huge log files
- edit /etc/hostname manually
- reboot -n
- After reboot, UI should be running smoothly. If not, ssh to MyBook and check logs again
I hope this will help someone to figure out what's wrong. I had to spend about two hours to make it working.