i'm not English speaking, so i'm sorry for my bad translation.
Some days ago I received old mybook world edition with blue rings. Disks on this device were clean, so device even couldn't boot. So I found this site and perfect guide for restoring one hard drive. So i followed the guide (archive with restore files i found by googling) and after all i created hard drive that can boot. But, the guide tells how to restore 1 hdd mybook, and the following guide will tell how to restore 2 hdd!
(this guide is summary of threads and guides from this forum)
First off all if you have 2 empty wd drives you need to follow this perfect guide: here must be link on this site (see hacks & tutorials - rescue procedure)
file mybook_we_rescue.zip you can find by googling or just email me and I will send you copy.
2) skip step number 10 of that guide.
3) mount 1 partition of your wd disk (as described in step 10) and edit file etc/default-settings
find there this line:
and change the "wdg1nc" to "wdg2nc"
after that edit the file etc/inetd.conf
remove "#" before this line:
ssh stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/sshd sshd -i
after that unmount partition and install disks to mybook.
restored disk to "A" place and second (empty disk) to "B"
4) go to web interface of mybook and make initial configuration to your device, and nothing else.
5) after device is configured connect to it by ssh as root. from linux it will be:
ssh -lroot ip-of-mybook
device will ask for a password. Password is: root
6) enter this command:
mdadm -Cv /dev/md4 -l1 -n2 -c64 /dev/sdb4 missing
it will create md4 raid disk
7) enter command
you should see something like:
You should get result like
ARRAY /dev/md1 level=raid1 num-devices=2 UUID=38f61aa3:44d57f6e:371d16a4:c628cbe8 ARRAY /dev/md2 level=raid1 num-devices=2 UUID=d76e6d02:bbdc6d24:944ec00b:1ce3d3f3 ARRAY /dev/md3 level=raid1 num-devices=2 UUID=52c5fcaf:6e5975eb:7ef85dd8:b9eb2bec ARRAY /dev/md4 level=raid1 num-devices=2 UUID=91c6bb94:a1f85a42:95e839e2:477a7ccc
8) copy the LAST line and enter command:
9) go to last line by "arrow down" button, press "O" (letter, not number) it will make new line. Paste the last line here. Press "Esc" and enter :wq and press enter. It will write file and close editor
10) Go to web interface when you now can go to "Drive Management" and format new internal drive. If you try to format it not following steps 5-9 you will see:
Error Code:: e16002 You must specify a drive type.
11) wait for syncronising complete. This will be very long. You can stop "wd anywhere" service to make process run faster.
12) if you want to disable ssh you can edit /etc/inetd.conf file and return "#" to it's place. Please read manual for "vim" editor for linux if you have any difficulties.
13) enjoy your new working wd mybook!