I setup ssh and use a cron job to connect to the host (windows machine) over ftp and wget an incremental backup every night.
Here are the steps I did:
I created a backup file on the WD, /etc/init.d/backup.sh
I followed the instructions here for the contents of the file:
- Obviously change the "cd" part to the directory you want to backup your files into.
- Install an FTP server on your laptop (I like FileZilla, google it) and create a directory where your backups will go (this should be the home).
- Modify the backup.sh file to point to that machine with the credentials you setup on the laptop.
- Create a cron job on your MyBook that runs the backup script as frequently as you need:
I set mine up to run nightly by adding the following line to "/etc/crontabs/root", which backs up at 2am.
0 2 * * * /etc/init.d/backup.sh
If you want the backup to run on the first Sunday of every month, you could use this:
#Backup the first sunday of every month
0 4 1-7 * 0 /etc/init.d/backup.sh
- On your laptop now, setup an incremental file backup with the builtin Windows Backup utility. Pick any files or the whole system if you want. Make sure you choose incremental though :)
The nice part about this setup is that you can basically drop any files in there that you want to backup and the WD will run nightly to pick them up :)