Here is a complete list of links to hacks and howto's for the Western Digital My Book World Edition.
= Little knowledge required to do the hack.
= Some or lots of knowledge required to do the hack. (not recomended to new linux users)
= This program is also available as an optware package.
MyBook Live version
goto MyBook Live page
There is a new MyBook out as from end 2010 : the MyBook Live.
This version is significantly different from from the preceeding ones, as it uses a Debian Lenny distribution. Post on the forum and update the Wiki once you have made a hack or find ways to use it. Most of the hacks from this page are different from the one of the MyBook Live, but may be of interest.
Here is the MyBook Live specific section : MyBook Live specific section
White light version update
There is a new version out with white light on the front instead of the blue rings. The configuration of this version is slightly different, so some of the hacks below might not work out-of-the-box as described below. But some will, so feel free to give it a try. Post on the forum if you encounter problems and update the wiki once you have made a hack so that other users know that it works. For aMule and Transmission Automated installations on whitelight see below.
Recovering MBWE bluerings
- Rescue Procedure
- Complete Walkthrough to Upgrade or Change HDD's in the BlueRings MBWE2 (Dual or Single Drive)
- Rescue Procedure - Data Recovery
- Install Clean HDD (Blue Rings)
- Install Clean HDD WhiteLight (for new firmware see discussions)
- Windows MybookRescue Tool from Highlevelbits site
- a backup image with (discuss)
- How to Revive Western Digital My Book World Edition - Complete walk-through from attaching serial for de-bricking to installing Debian
See “Enable SSH” in first steps with mbwe.
Old information (left for reference):
- mbwe get in test test your My Book readiness to apply a ssh hack and have some debug info on applying SSH hacks…
- MyBook-linux SSH hack or MyBook-linux SSH hack with a log file (Reboot required for both)
- Martin Hinner SSH hack (Root password deleted)
- Windows Telnet (Less secure alternative to SSH)
Tips & Modifications
Note: optware is in many cases the easiest and safest way to install applications.
Most of the following hacks needs that you first configure optware.
Compile MBWE binaries on your linux PC
- Cross-compile packages for MBWE using Optware
- Compile binaries 'natively' on your PC by chrooting to arm(el) environment
Use your My Book as a download server
- Download torrents using Rtorrent Note: has been reported to hang on big files during hash check. (FIX HERE)
- Download torrents using Transmission 1.42. (Recommened)
- Download torrents using W3btorrent 0.1.3
- Nzbget FeaturePak install and configure nzbget easily (require webserver and accessbook).
- website images :: collector: let your My Book download tons of images / movies for you!
- Download from rapidshare and others with pyLoad
Use your Mybook as a print server
- Setting up a Print Server - Install and configure CUPS
Use your My Book as a File Server
- Update the Samba (white light) server to increase transfer speeds.
- Update samba (blue ring).
- Enabling it as a NFS server
- SCP file access, a secure and easy alternative to FTP
- Encrypted Filesystem for the paranoid.
- PhpXplorer a free php (slow) file manager to share files with friends .
- Enable webDAV using lighttpd server
- display "dot files" (like ".htaccess") within the network shares
- Add NTFS support for external USB drive (WB 2nd edition)
- Add EXT3 support for external USB drive - MB 2nd edition (External Link).
- Fix the display of "internal" or "share" files
- Fix Samba for Mac OS X Lion
- Samba with read-only share.
Use your My Book as a Media Server
- Firefly (mt-daapd) streaming music server for iTunes and the Roku SoundBridge
- Firefly (mt-daapd-svn) same as above but using optware entirely without compiling from sources.
- MediaTomb (UPnP MediaServer)
- Ushare (UPnP MediaServer)
- Serve Files off your Topfield PVR using Topfield FTP Server
- Install Squeezeboxserver for devices such as Logitech Radio on MyBook Live
Use your My Book as a web and communication server
- Lighttpd webserver - Serve contents of a 'share' over HTTP
- Web server Use your My Book as a secure web and PHP server .
- AccessBook A nice and fast portal for sharing files and photos with your friends…
- DokuWiki is a simple to use Wiki, mainly aimed at creating documentation of any kind.
- Install an IRC IRC Eggdrop
- Install a MySQL database server.
Backup with your My Book
- Enabling RSync server for file synchronisation
- Rsnapshot-based backup solution
- Bacula - another backup solution (compiling tutorial)
- Unison (installation tutorial)
- Tutorial for secure syncing two My Books over the Internet
- CIFS (Samba) for White Light
- MyBookClone Feature Pack Clone your My Book to a bigger disk, backup your Mybook's system and data regularly and receive email reports of Backup status…
- RSync Backup To Amazon Web Services Use Amazon Web Services (AWS) as your on-line backup.
- Duplicity back up to Amazon S3 Using Duplicity to create incremental secure backups on Amazon S3 cloud storage
- MySnapshot - solution for backing up your MyBook data to a connected USB disc
- Duplicity back up to Amazon S3 and Amazon Glacier
Manage\Monitor your My Book
- Webmin control of your my book
- MAC Address Change (By running a script at startup)
- How To change your MBWE-bluering MAC-address (Change the hardcoded mac-address)
- Mycheck Temp Mem Monitor - Add a html Temp, Memory and cpu monitor
- gkrellmd - A cool looking system monitoring tool (support thread)
- Text editor Nano
- New Web Interface - Coming Soon
- Detach and manager your terminal sessions using Screen
- net snmp - Discussion thread here.
- installing mrtg without optware
- gather information with mrtg
- set date and time - A method to keep date and time actual
- SMART Monitoring (External Link).
- Key Based SSH Login Tutorial
(Re-)configure Your My Book
- gcc Forum Thread (for firmware 2.00.15)
- Manual Firmware Upgrade for when the web-interface refuses to cooperate.
- Force Firmware Upgrade for current 02.00.18 - The easyest way of restore to las Firmware
- ATA over Ethernet
- cron - cron is not installed in the Whitelight version
- LEDs - play with LEDs
- Making a My Book cool and quiet - Replacing HW monitoring scripts with more clever and tuned-in versions, and other hacks
- Adding sound support to the kernel - cross compiling kernel modules using gcc 4.1
- Compile your own white-light 1.00.16 modules in Ubuntu
- msmtp e-mail setup for TLS enabled smtp servers (like Gmail)
- hamachi : virtual private network even without public IP
- openVPN : (instructions for “Blue Rings” and “White Light” versions) Connect remotely to your MyBook as if you were at home…
- More about making MyBook cool and quiet
- Adding ISOFS
- Empowering your power button (blue ring) to run a script on a short press
Installing other OS's
- MyLenny firmwares - install Debian Lenny on Bluerings
- Debian on MyBook White Light - install Debian Lenny or Squeeze
Automated installation procedures
- http://www.myboxproject.net Automated installations on My Book ("bluelights" and the new "whitelight" ones) with zero Linux skills: aMule, Transmission and FTP server installations.
- featurepacks Automated installation of Web Server, My Book Interface management , AccessBook for sharing files over internet and providing photo galleries and Feature Manager to install future feature packs like MybookClone…
- http://www.highlevelbits.fr · FeaturePack Manager for all MyBook NAS : BlueRings, WhiteLight and the new Live! · My Book NAS singleclick installations: OPTWARE, transmission, NZBGET, No-IP, system Configuration …(availability depending on NAS type)
Other sites on My Book hacks
- http://www.mybookworldedition.co.nr Another useful link to more tutorials and Hacks
- http://wiki.myboxproject.net Hacks tips for Linux newbies
Modifying the Hardware
- White Light Serial Port
- MBWE (blue rings) hardware
- MBWE (white light) hardware
- Adding realtime clock